St. Theresa (St. Theresa, Iowa)

http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/ca2bc5dbba83cb0f35d1c3426d91d8f6.jpg
http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/71beb6412b192ec4beee36afd9487f42.jpg

Title

St. Theresa (St. Theresa, Iowa)

Description

"Saint Theresa Parish began with the acquisition of forty acres of land, as did so many of the rural parishes of the 1850s. This transaction in 1853 makes it the 14th parish in the history of the present territory of the Archdiocese of Dubuque. The church is about twelve miles south of Dubuque and lies in Jackson County on the border of Dubuque County. Father Terence Donaghue of Dubuque was the founder. The first church, built of stone, was small, about the size of a one room schoolhouse. When it became too small for the congregation, and a larger frame church was built, the stone church became a schoolhouse for a time. The present brick church was built in 1903, and the frame church was sold for salvaged lumber."

-Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, Parish Profile #31, The Witness, July 12, 1987.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Type

Various primary and secondary resources

Language

English.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Coverage

1853-2006
History of the parish over the span of 153 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Table Of Contents

History (4 documents)
Priests and parish life (5 documents)
Parish anniversaries (3 documents)
Parish closing (2 documents)

Citation

“St. Theresa (St. Theresa, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed July 15, 2024, http://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/5775.