St. Peter (Sabula, Iowa)

Title

St. Peter (Sabula, Iowa)

Description

"Saint Peter’s in Sabula is another of those parishes than can point the 1840s for its beginning. The Catholic Almanac of 1842 lists the river town about forty miles south of Dubuque as Charleston and as a “station,” that, as a place where Mass was offered at least on an occasional basis and the sacraments administered. A few years later the Almanac indicates that a church is to be built dedicated to St. James. In 1855 an acre of land for church and cemetery was deeded to Bishop Mathias Loras. It was there the church was built in 1870, about a mile from the present location. In 1883 two lots were purchased in the town and the frame church moved to that location."

- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, Parish Profile #6, The Witness, January 11, 1987.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Language

English.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Coverage

ca. 1850-
History of the parish over the span of 168 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Files

http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/435054979bce256d1be49a166ffed635.jpg
http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/ef80aa08a0fd354d02d40648e5d35fc4.jpg
http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/7a3cf6d334a7f9a1601a80948561f992.jpg
http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/31fa345293f7afc606810f8e1f0a00cf.jpg

Citation

“St. Peter (Sabula, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 19, 2024, http://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/5806.