St. Patrick (Ryan, Iowa)


St. Patrick (Ryan, Iowa)


"In the early 1880s Father Patrick H. Ryan lived in the Tom Magirl home while forming a parish and building a church. The church foundations are still visible in Calvary Cemetery on highway 13, about two miles south of Ryan. Completed about 1882, the church was named for Saint Michael, and the place was called Belmont. […]. Father Ryan encouraged other Irish to settle in the area, and a town began on the Steve McAleer farm. It was named for Father Ryan as he helped the Catholics north and west to form a new parish. A small frame church in Ryan was finished in 1885 and named for Saint Patrick."

- Kurt, Rev. Msgr. Edgar, “Parish Profile #101,” The Witness, November 27, 1988.


The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.




Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"


History of the Parish over the span of 136 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.


Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.


Various primary and secondary sources.

Table Of Contents

A.C.C.W. Officers List 1960-1961 (1 document)

Annual History 1967-1969, 1969-1971, 1975, 1982-1984, 1988-1989 (7 compilations)

Annual History Regarding 1981 new pastor Fr. Weydert and tornado of 1975 (1 document)

Bulletin, Fr. Weydert, April 1985, 8 January 1989 (2 documents)

Centennial Booklet 1883-1983 (1 booklet)

Correspondences 1917, 1919, 1924 (6 documents) 

Directory Community of Unity 1986 (1 booklet)

History (1 compilation)

History 1937-1961 (3 pages)

Legal Documents (12 documents)

Parish Profile Notes (1 document)

Pastor Cards (1 compilation)

Photographs with Information on Back: Rectory, St. Patrick’s Convent, St. Patrick’s Gymnasium (3 photographs)

Kurt, Rev. Msgr. Edgar. “Parish Profile #101: Saint Patrick Parish, Ryan.” Dubuque: The Witness, Vol. LXVIII No. 40, 27 November 1988.

Nandell, Bob. “Home for Christmas.” Des Moines Register, 25 December 1989, p. 2A.

“O-Pat-O-Scope.” Ryan: St. Patrick’s School, Vol. 2 No. 3, 5 February 1962. (12 documents)

“Parish Tradition.” Dubuque: The Witness, Vol. LXVIII No. 32, 2 October 1988.

Rasdal, Dave. “Ryan garages, closets cleaned for community’s benefit.” Cedar Rapids: Gazette, 2 April 1996.



“St. Patrick (Ryan, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 1, 2023,

Social Bookmarking