Assumption (Little Turkey, Iowa)


Assumption (Little Turkey, Iowa)


“In 1902 the Catholics were numerous enough to buy the vacant Methodist Church in Little Turkey for $500 and Fathers John Broz and Peter Kloss blessed it. Father Joseph Dostal, pastor of Spillville and brother to the two Dostal founders, celebrated the first Mass in the church on March 19, 1903. Father Godfrey Kramolis (also known as Father Bohumil Kramolis) was appointed first resident pastor in 1903 and that year officiated at the first marriage in the church.”

- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #165: Assumption of the B.V.M. Parish, Little Turkey.” Dubuque: The Witness, 11 March 1990.


The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.


Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.


Various primary and secondary sources.




Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"


History of the parish over the span of 116 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Table Of Contents

Anniversary 90th (3 documents)

Annual History 1983-1989 (3 documents)

Certificate of Baptism

Czech? Card 1915 (1 document)

History (1 collection)

Parish Profile (2 documents)    

Pastor List (1 document)

Release of Mortgage 1952 (1 document) 

‘Little Turkey’s Assumption Parish plans nonagesimal celebration.” The New Hampton Tribute, 25 February 1993, B1.

“Little Turkey parish celebrates centennial,” Complied by Irene Schmitt. The Witness. 13 July 2003, p. 1.

“Little Turkey will celebrate March 21,” Dubuque: The Witness, Vol. LXXIII No. 3, 28 February 1993.

Uher, Louise. “New Rectory Features Little County Church Near Fort Atkinson.” The Gazette.

The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College:

Church, Rectory, Parish Hall Photographs (3 documents)

Dedication Letter (1 document)

History (1 document)

Pastor Cards (1 collection)


“Assumption (Little Turkey, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed July 15, 2024,