Holy Name (West Union, Iowa)
“The first resident pastor was Father Patrick McMahon, coming to West Union in April 1879. It was he who began sacramental records. He lived with the John Owens family during his one-year pastorate. Father Laurence H. Burns came in May 1880 and immediately purchased a house, to which an addition was built a year later. He remained five years, also attending Wadena. West Union pastors continued to care for the Wadena Catholics until 1899.”
- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #105: Holy Name Parish, West Union.” Dubuque: The Witness, 25 December 1988.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
History of the parish over the span of 158 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
Table Of Contents
Annual History 1963-1964, 1979-1980, 1983-1984, 1985-1986 (1 document, 3 packets)
Cluster Agreement – St. Joseph the Worker Cluster July 2010 (1 packet)
History (1 packet)
History 1937-1961 (1 packet)
Holy Name Catholic School Reunion 26 July 2003 (1 document)
Holy Name Parish Handbook (2 booklets)
Parish Council Meeting Agenda 1980 (1 document)
Pastor/Priest Cards (1 set)
Pastor List and Major Developments 1937-1958 (2 documents)
Pastor/Priest Timeline 1861-1987 (2 documents)
Photographs: Church 1961, Rectory 1961, School 1961 (3 photographs)
Rev. Kenneth M. Ryan Letter regarding enclosed photographs 1961 (2 documents)
Rosary Society End of Year Report 1978 (1 packet)
Vocations List (1 document)
“Holy Name Catholic School Reunion.” West Union Newspaper, 26 July 2003, p. 1-2.
Van Sickle, Mike. “New west Union church to welcome parishioners March 4.” West Union: Union News, ca. 2001, p. 1, A-3.