St. Peter (Temple Hill, Iowa)
“Father Patrick Maginnis came from Garryowen in 1852 to be the first resident pastor in the county. That year he saw to the building of the first church, a small frame structure, planned to serve as both church and school, but there is no school records until 1892. To this location Fr. Maginnis gave the name Temple Hill because the temple of God was built on a low hill overlooking the surrounding countryside. When the church was destroyed by fire in the early 1860s, consuming all the records, the present limestone structure was planned and later completed in 1866 at the close of the Civil War.”- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #10: Saint Peter Parish, Temple Hill,” Dubuque: The Witness, 8 February 1987.
History of the parish over the span of 167 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
Table Of Contents
1852-2002 History Book on St. Peters Catholic Church Temple Hill (1 book)
ACCW History Copies (1 packet)
Article “St. Peter’s Temple Hill,” regarding first communicants, unknown publisher, 1997.
Centennial History 1975 (1 packet)
Flyer for “29th Annual Pork Barbeque,” 2001 (1 document)
History (3 packets)
History of the Aquin System Parishes Timeline (1 packet)
History of St. Peter Redecoration (1 packet)
Letter regarding Centennial and all Parish Histories, Rev. Kurt, 1990 (1 document)
Letter regarding photographs 1937 (1 document)
New Parishioners Directory May 1990-1991 (2 documents)
Pastor List and History (2 documents)
Vocations and History (1 packet)
“Mass at Temple Hill for area Hispanics.” Dubuque: The Witness, 12 November 2006.
“Rural Churches Served by Rec,” Anamosa: Your Co-Op. 23 February 1973, p. 1-2. (considered bulletin)
Kurt, Rev. Msgr. Edgar, “Parish Profile #10: Saint Peter Parish, Temple Hill,” Dubuque: The Witness, n.d.
“St. Peter’s, Temple Hill, will celebrate 150 years.” Dubuque: The Witness, 25 August 2002, p. 1.“The Onslow Catholic Parish, Onslow, Iowa.” 27 November 1991.