Saint Patrick (Watkins, Iowa)
“At least five parishes in the Archdiocese in the 1880s boasted two Catholic churches where one would have been sufficient except for a variety of languages. One such town was Norway in Benton County, where Saint Michael’s was the first parish, caring for the Czech people of the area. Later the parish became predominantly German. The second parish, Saint Patrick’s provided for Norway’s Irish settlers. When the pastor of Fairfax to the east began visiting the Irish Catholics in the Norway area is not recorded. Their first church was begun in 1880 and completed the following spring and named for Saint Patrick.”
- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #134: Saint Patrick Parish, Watkins.” Dubuque: The Witness, 30 July 1989.
History of the parish over the span of 139 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
Table Of Contents
Abstract Records, n.d. (1 document)
Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque, p. 319.
Deed Records 1907, 1912 (2 documents)
Financial Statements and Reports 1977, 1982, 1983, 1985 (4 packets)
History 1937-1961 (1 document)
Major Developments 1930-1954 (1 document)
Pastor Cards (1 set)
Stramer History Letter regarding vocations from Waterloo (1 document)“St. Patrick’s, Watkins celebrates 100 years.” Dubuque: The Witness, ca. 1980.