St. Patrick (Winthrop, Iowa)
“Settlement of Winthrop and the surrounding area began with the coming of the Illinois Central Railroad in 1868. Most Catholic immigrants were Irish. Some came as laborers on the railroad, staying to make a permanent home. Others came to farm the Buchanan County land. Missionary priests visited the early Catholics, providing Mass, the sacraments, and other religious service.”
- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #157: Saint Patrick, Winthrop.” Dubuque: The Witness, 14 January 1990.
History of the parish over the span of 143 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
Table Of Contents
ACCW History-1960 (2 documents)
Annual History ACCW 1978-1981 (3 documents)
Archive Letter regarding the history of St. Patrick (Winthrop, Iowa) in the book, History of Buchananon County, Iowa with Illustrations (1881)
By-Laws of the Corporation 1912 (1 document)
History 1936-1961 (2 documents)
History by Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt (2 documents)
Pastor/Priest Cards (1 set)Photographs: Church and Rectory 16 June 1961 (1 photograph)