St. Bridget (Bluffton, Iowa)

Title

St. Bridget (Bluffton, Iowa)

Description

"The first settlers in Bluffton Township, Winneshiek County, arrived in 1851. The Catholics among them were the families of Michael Gelice, Terrence McDonnell, Charles McLaughlin, and Barney Sutton. Before any church could be built visiting missionaries celebrated Mass in the homes of Michael Gelice and Patrick Nolan. The village of Bluffton, prosperous for those times, sprang up on the banks of the Upper Iowa River, where the first post office opened in 1855. In 1858 Patrick Nolan donated land for a church, and the log structure was dedicated to Saint Bridget, as most of the pioneers were either from Ireland or had Irish ancestors."

- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, "Parish Profile #162," The Witness, February 18, 1990.

Coverage

1858-
History of the parish over the span of 160 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Language

English.

Table Of Contents

LETTERS TO PARISHIONERS (4 documents)
PARISH HISTORY (3 documents)
PRIEST INFORMATION (2 documents)

Unknown author. “The Archdiocese of Dubuque.” Income form. 1995-2007. Unknown date.

Files

history_since1937.jpg

Citation

“St. Bridget (Bluffton, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed September 19, 2020, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/563.