Holy Trinity (Dubuque, Iowa)

Title

Holy Trinity (Dubuque, Iowa)

Description

"The German families in Dubuque asked Bishop Loras for permission to form a parish and built a small stone church at 8th and White Streets in 1851. Although named Holy Trinity, it was replaced in 1867 by the present Saint Mary Church at 15th and White Streets. Holy Trinity Parish came into being in 1909 when Father Arnold A. Boeding, the Sacred Heart pastor, asked Archbishop John J. Keane to create a new parish in the Eagle Point area of the city. Father Joseph A. Dupont, the Sacred Heart assistant, was appointed pastor. The parish was named Holy Trinity. Finding about 110 families in his care, Father Dupont chose the present location on Rhomberg Avenue. A committee headed by George Roepsch and Joseph Schlueter gave him valuable support and assisted in raising funds. When Father Dupont made the fund appeal, several parishes, many priests and businessmen, and a good number of parishioners responded, providing $30,000 in cash and $15,000 in pledges. Work began in early 1910. For the cornerstone laying, a long procession of 17 Catholic societies in colorful regalia proceeded from the Cathedral to the Rhomberg Avenue site."

- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, Parish Profile #189, The Witness, September 2, 1990.

Coverage

1909-
The history of the parish over the span of 109 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Language

English.

Table Of Contents

FINANCIAL REPORTS AND RECORDS (7 documents)
PARISH HISTORY: (4 documents)
PARISHIONERS AND PRIESTS (3 documents)

Roepsch, George. Cheque for Seventy Dollars: “Contribution toward the erection of Holy Trinity Church.” Received by J.A Dupont. 6 January, 1901.

The Mount Calvary Cemetery Board. “An Open Letter To Parishioners At: Holy Ghost Church; Holy Trinity Church; Sacred Heart church; and Saint Mary’s Church.” 30 December, 2001.

Files

church_picture025.jpg
holy_trinity_dubuque_check.png

Citation

“Holy Trinity (Dubuque, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed November 24, 2020, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/569.