Immaculate Conception (Allison, Iowa)

Title

Immaculate Conception (Allison, Iowa)

Description

"Father Bernard W. Coyle of Waverly is reputed to have celebrated the first Mass in the Allison community in the 1880s. He continued to care for the Catholics there on his many journeys. The further accounts of the parish’s beginning are confusing. One account claims the church was built in 1800 and dedicated on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, 1890, while Father Coyle was still serving the community. Another account gives the date as 1895 and Father James Ryan directing the building during his pastorate. The date of the transfer of title to Archbishop John Hennessy on December 10, 1890, would tend to favor the earlier date."

- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, "Parish Profile #195," The Witness, October 14, 1990.

Coverage

1890-
The history of the parish over the span of 128 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Language

English.

Table Of Contents

FINANCIAL STATEMENTS (2 documents)
PARISH HISTORY (6 documents)

“Catholic Church Calendar and Souvenir: Immaculate Conception Church.” 1902.

St. Mary’s Church. Cheque for $19.71. Received by J. Morley. 15 August, 1874.

Files

1902 souvenir booklet.jpg
immaculate_conception_allison_lumber_reciept_1874.png

Citation

“Immaculate Conception (Allison, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed February 22, 2020, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/570.