St. John (Andrew, Iowa)

http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/7b9b64e7d78033c74f98d2d8d2f58c00.jpg

Title

St. John (Andrew, Iowa)

Description

"Father John M. Wolfe was appointed pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Maquoketa, February 1913, in his eighth year of the priesthood. He set about the spiritual and material development of this county seat parish. He soon gave attention to the Catholics in the area of the former county seat town of Andrew. In 1914 he began celebrating Mass in Hansen Hall, the second floor of the original Jackson County Court House. That fall and the next year he led the Catholics of the Andrew area in building Saint John church. It was dedicated on October 1, 1915."

- Msgr. Edgar Kurt, Parish Profile #213 The Witness, February 24, 1991.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Language

English.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Coverage

1915-
History of the parish over the span of 103 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Table Of Contents

HISTORY (6 documents)
PARISH LIFE (10 documents)

Schmitz. St. John’s Cemetery Association. Pauper Grave List. Circa 1940s.

Schwager, Antone. Wagener, Theodore. Wolfe, J.M. “Financial Statement of St. John Church (Incorporated). Andrew, Iowa. June 16, 1914 to April 22, 1916.” 22 April, 1916.

Citation

“St. John (Andrew, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed July 15, 2024, http://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/5716.