Assumption of the B.V.M. (Sylvia, Iowa)


Assumption of the B.V.M. (Sylvia, Iowa)


"Sylvia, where the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located, was first called Sylvia, which is Latin for “the woods.” When the narrow gauge railroad came to the little town in 1879, it became Sylvia Switch, and was sometimes simply called the Switch. When the railroad was no more, it easily went back to Sylvia. Father Bourke began working with the Sylvia Catholics in the fall of 1895. They bought ten acres from Jacob Kemerer for ninety dollars. Foundation rock for the frame church was brought from neighborhood quarries and lumber from LaMotte. With much of the labor donated, the church was finished in 1896 at a cost of $750."

- Kurt, Rev. Msgr. Edgar, Parish Profile #115, The Witness, March 12, 1989.


The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.


Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.


Various Primary and secondary sources.




Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"


1896- 5 June 2006
History of the parish over the span of 110 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Table Of Contents

Anniversary (5 booklets)
Archives (1 document)
Decree (2 documents)
Financial Statement (4 documents)
History (4 documents)
Maps (2 documents)
News Articles (8 documents)
Parish Profiles (2 documents)
Pastor Lists (3 documents)
Personal Narrative (2 documents)

Jerde, Lyn. "Bishop Celebrates Homecoming." Telegraph Herald. 16 September 1996.


“Assumption of the B.V.M. (Sylvia, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed July 15, 2024,