Saint Luke (St. Lucas, Iowa)


Saint Luke (St. Lucas, Iowa)


“In 1882 Father Francis Boeding began a pastorate of 46 years. He saw to the spiritual formation of his parish and also served the people of Cresco, Fort Atkinson, Ossian, and Hawkeye in his early years. He was instrumental in making the area entirely Catholic, and only German was spoken in homes, church, and school. The buildings of the parish were improved, added to, and replaced. A new gothic style church was built in 1914, with 4 Bavarian stained glass windows. Three bells occupy the east tower.”

- Rev. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #48: Saint Luke, St. Lucas,” Dubuque: The Witness, 8 November 1987.


The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.


Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.


Various primary and secondary sources.




Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"


History of the parish over the span of 164 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Table Of Contents

Anniversary 125th Mass (1 booklet)

Annual History and Records 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980-1981, 1981-92 (15 records)

Annual Report 2004 (1 packet)

Articles from The Union, October 23, 1980. P. B-3. (4 documents)

“Church of St. Luke, St. Lucas, Iowa.” (2 booklets)

Nation Register of Historic Places (9 documents)

Orian Love’s 27 August 2004 Articles, p. 2B (2 documents)

Letter 1937, 1945 (3 documents)

Parish History (2 compilation)

Pastor List (1 document)

Pearl Harbor Memorial, Fr. Schmitt (1 document)

Reference Sheet, St. Luke (1 document)

Blong, Clair K. Jeanette Hlubek Dietzenbach, Lorraine Bodensteiner Kuennen, Carl Most, Rosemary

Kuennen Most of the St. Lucas Historical Society. “The German-American Village of St. Lucas, Iowa.” 2004, p. 1-27.

Bradley, Janell. “The former St. Luke’s Catholic School has been transformed into a German-American

museum: Old School.” Waterloo and Cedar Falls: The Courier. 1 January 2007.

Holm, Rich. “Historic organ, kids’ voices add to St. Luke’s history.” The Union. 6 July 2005.

Holm, Rich. “Priceless windows reflect St. Luke’s 150-year history.” The Union. 29 June 2005, p. A-22? (2 documents).

Holm, Rich. “St. Luke’s doors open wide for Sesquicentennial.” The Union. 20 July 2005.

Holm, Rich. “’You don’t have to pray in this church; it prays for you.’” The Union. 13 July 2005.

Love, Orian. “School/Linked church, state.” The Gazette, 28 October 2003, p. 8B.

Love, Orian. “St. Lucas school built on faith.” The Gazette, 28 October 2003, p. B.

Mihm, John C., “Description of Saint Luke’s Church Property,” 26 September 1956 (2 documents).

“Remembering 142 Years of Catholic Education.” 20 May 1997, p. 1-8.

“Saint Lucas.” Buildings from Iowa, 1993. P. 143.

“Saint Lucas Celebrates its sesquicentennial.” The Witness. 24 July 2005.

“Saint Luke’s Parish in Retrospect.” St. Luke’s High School, Saint Lucas, Iowa. Newsletter contributed to

by Driling, Loras; Langrek, Joyce; Mihm, John C.; Schmitt, Sylvia; Schuh, Fr. 7 October 1955, p. 5.

Schmitz, Mari Larson. “St. Luke’s Church.” Calmar Courier. 1 February 1979.  

Sickle, Mike Van. “St. Lucas Historical Society: Preservation effort begins.” The Witness. August 17, 2003,

p. 3 (2 documents).

Sickle, Mike Van. “St. Luke’s Parish to honor Pearl Harbor hero.” The Union. 5 December 2001.

“St. Lucas Jubilee Issue.” Jerico Community Echo. Iowa: Waucoma, Vol. 55 No. 35. 31 August 1939. (24 pages)

“St. Lucas named pilgrimage site.” The Witness. 14 September 2008, p. 2.

“St. Lucas school and gymnasium to be sold.” The Union. 30 October 2002.


“Saint Luke (St. Lucas, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed May 22, 2024,