SS. Peter and Paul (Springbrook, Iowa)
“Jackson County settlers some miles south of Bellevue in the 1860s did business in either Slabton, where there was a sawmill, or Old Springbrook, or “new” Springbrook. The Methodists worshipped in Liberty School, the Baptists in Old Springbrook, but the Catholics gathered in homes when a missionary visited them. Sometimes his coming was announced with a cannon shot. When the Catholic population reached about 40 families in 1864, they organized a parish, which was later named for Saints Peter and Paul.”- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #49: Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Springbrook,” Dubuque: The Witness, 15 November 1987.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
History of the parish over the span of 155 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
Table Of Contents
ACCW Parish History project, History (1 compilation)
Archives note about tape of Springbrook in St. Peter’s Sabula file (1 document)
Chancellor, M.C. Sullivan 1918-1919 to be included in Annual Statement (1 document)
History (1 compilation)
Holy Mission Cards 1912, 1923 (3 cards)
Letter from City to Rev. Msgr. William A. Roach (2 documents)
Pastor List (1 document)
Rev. Roach Letters 1959 (1 document)
Sts. Peter and Paul Church 1938-1988 (2 booklets)
“Anniversary Celebration.” Dubuque: The Witness, Vol. LXIX No. 24. 6 August 1989.
Callaghan, Sally. “Years Ago.” The Herald-Leader, 27 September 1990, p. 5.
Chronicles of the Perpetual Help and St. Peter’s Mission, Springbrook, Iowa 1884. n.d.
“First Communion.” The Herald-Leader. 29 May 1997, p. 8.
“Sister Heiar celebrates 25 years.” The Herald-Leader, 9 May 1991, p. 7.
Slattery, Patrick. “Pastor, farmer work together to benefit school children.” Wisconsin State Farmer. 23
September 1994, p. 9.
“Springbrook,” Dubuque: The Witness, Vol. LXV No. 37, 10 November 1985.
“Springbrook Catholic Church marks 125 years.” The Herald-Leader, 10 August 1989.
“Ss. Peter and Paul First Communicants,” The Herald-Leader, 4 June 1998, p. 9.The Liturgy Committee, “Pilgrim church open to visitors.” Dubuque: The Witness, 20 July 2008.