St. Mary (Strawberry Point, Iowa)
“Bishop John Hennessy established the Strawberry Point parish in the southwest corner of Clayton County in 1878 and appointed Father John Hackett pastor. They had been served by missionary priests coming into the area and celebrating Mass in the homes of Bartholomew Dillion, James Ivory, Michael O’Brien, James Fitzpatrick, and T. Kelly. Father Hackett directed the purchase of property in the town of Strawberry Point and the building of a church. The 30’ by 60’ church was completed in 1880 and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary on May 23 of that year.”- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #149: Saint Mary Parish, Strawberry Point,” Dubuque: The Witness, 12 November 1989.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
History of the parish over the span of 141 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
Table Of Contents
Annual Report 1976, 1980, 1982 (8 documents, 1 booklet)
Blue print/location information and Site Plan and Plat Map (2 documents)
Pastor List (1 document)
Priest Lists and Pictures, 1881-1925, 1915-1978 (2 documents)“Preus to preach at All Saints Celebration,” Telegraph Herald, 29 October 1988, p. 6A.