St. Joseph (State Center, Iowa)
“State Center was at the end of its run for the Northwestern Railroad in the early 1860s bringing Catholic employees among the first settlers of that Marshall County Town. Among the priests making missionary journeys to State Center were the Marshalltown pastors, Fathers William Walsh and Peter Brommenschenkel. One of the homes where Mass was celebrated was Maurice Noonan’s, a railroad employee. The first parish church in State Center was built in 1871 under Father Brommenschenkel’s direction. The parish included residents from Rhodes, Colo, and Dunn Settlement. The following year Bishop John J. Hennessy dedicated the church and confirmed the first class."
- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #90: Saint Joseph, State Center,” Dubuque: The Witness, 11 September 1988.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
History of the parish over the span of 149 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
Table Of Contents
Annual History 1976, 1979, 1990-1991 (4 compilations)
Bank Letters and Fr. Flynn 1908-1909 (12 documents)
Bulletin 1992 (1 document)
Christmas Greetings 1992 (1 packet of documents)
Complete War Record, ca. WWI (1 document)
Dedication Mass (1 booklet)
Dedication, Proclamation (1 document)
Early parishioner or town resident lists beginning in 1854 (2 documents)
Early timeline 1871-1950 (2 documents)
Letters regarding cemetery/graveyard and State Center school/Mt. St. Clare Academy 1906, 1913 (6 documents)
Letter regarding C.C.D change 1969 (1 document)
Parish Vocations Profile 1931 (1 document)“History of St. Joseph’s Church State Center.” Dubuque: The Witness, December 1928, p. 26 (1 original, 1 copy).