Browse Items (782 total)

Visitation_Stacyville019.jpg
“In 1873 the 27 families sent John Brost to ask Bishop John Hennessy for a resident priest and permission to build a church. Permission to build was granted, but no priest was available. The next year they dedicated the new church to the Blessed…

loemker234.jpg
This image shows the rear of a small one story frame school house. Two out houses are also visible. The Sherrill Mound, and the Methodist Episcopal Church and parsonage in Sherrill, Iowa are visible in the distance.

loemker121.jpg
An open touring car with the Iowa license plate 64281, is visible in this image taken in front of 390 Main Street. Two men are riding in the front seat. A woman is visible in the back seat. A sign reading “…Without Loving … Love … has been…

loemker011.jpg
In this image, the Julien Dubuque Monument may be seen on top of a bluff. A door and two windows in the monument are clearly visible. A steel railroad bridge is in the foreground. The waters of Catfish Creek are visible below the bridge. Two men are…

St Wenceslaus Witness article.jpg
"In Tama County, famed for Czech pioneers and parishes, one of the early churches was Saint Wenceslaus in Carroll Township. As its location is about a mile and a half west of the town of Clutier. Saint Wenceslaus Church was built in 1899 and blessed…

100 year anniversary booklet cover091.jpg
"Saint Wenceslaus Church was built in the Winneshiek County town of Spillville in 1860, but the parish’s double beginning was earlier. First, nearby Saint Clement Parish was established by German settlers about 1853 on the banks of Spielman’s…

40th_tornado_anniversary_wenceslaus_duncan068.png
“In its 110 years, Saint Wenceslaus Parish in Duncan, located in Hancock County, has only had ten pastors. Before the first church was built in 1900, the people attended Mass in Garner or were visited by traveling priests, who celebrated Mass in…

prayer_cards_St_Wenceslaus_Cedar_rapids016.jpg
"Immigrants of Slavic ancestry in the Cedar Rapids area gather at Immaculate Conception Church in Cedar Rapids for Sunday Mass. For their convenience, Father Clement J. G. Lowery frequently invited Bohemian missionaries. Prominent among them were…

Aquinas_Webster_City056.jpg
“During the three-year pastorate of Father Michael Daly, a new parish site was purchased near the center of the city at 1010 Des Moines Street, and Father Thomas J. O’Brien supervised the building of the present brick church dedicated to Saint…

witness_profile_aquinas_ames051.jpg
"In 1899 the pastor of the Gilbert parish, Father Henry C. Eckhart, celebrated the first Mass in the Ames community. The Gilbert church and rectory were in the country, some miles from the town of Gilbert. Father Eckhart was followed by Father…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2