Immaculate Conception (Blessing, Iowa)

Title

Immaculate Conception (Blessing, Iowa)

Description

"Father Scallan directed the building of a church, probably in 1880. Patrick and Bridget Farrell deeded four acres of their farm to the Diocese of Dubuque on May 25, 1880, a year after they had purchased it. The Centennial History of the Archdiocese states that Father Kelly celebrated Mass in Anthony and Martin Cummings’ homes, but no further reference to Father Kelly can be found in the Archives. Before it was called the Blessing Church, it was known as the Hudson or Lincoln Church, according to old directories. Blessing appears to have been named for James Blessington Dunn, a storekeeper and postmaster. The church was dedicated from its beginning to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary."

- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, "Parish Profile #119," The Witness, April 9, 1989.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Language

English.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Coverage

1880-2006
The history of the parish over the span of 126 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmier, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Table Of Contents

ART EXHIBIT (5 documents)
CLOSING (4 documents)
HISTORY (16 documents)
LISTS OF PRIESTS (3 documents)
PARISH LIFE (10 documents)
PHOTOGRAPHS (1 document)

Beenken, David. Weber, Lonny. “Results of meeting of September 2, 1998 at immaculate Conception Blessing.” Letter to Msr. Walz. 3 September, 1998.

Kelley, Sister Elvira. Letter to Lawrence J. Guter. 25 June, 1985.

Kurt, Edgar. “Priests From the Archdiocese: Frank A. Geinitz: Priest of the Leavenworth Diocese, Kansas; later of the Kansas City, Kansas, Diocese.” 3 April, 1989.

Reuter, Lloyd. “Pastoral Associate/Minister Contract (Model.” 18 May, 1996.

Unknown author(s). “The Blessing Parish 1937 to 1961.” A.C.C.W Parish History Project. Unknown date.

Unknown author(s.) “Blessing Parish History-- 1962-63.” A.C.C.W Parish History Project. Unknown date.

Unknown author. “Blessing Cemetery Directory.” 5 August, 2000.

Unknown author(s). “Immaculate Conception Parish: Blessing, Iowa (Hudson): Rectory 1435 E. Eagle Road, Waterloo, Iowa.” 1982.

Unknown author(s). Immaculate Conception Parish: Blessing, Iowa (Hudson): Rectory 1435 E. Eagle Road, Waterloo, Iowa.” 1985.

Unknown author(s). Immaculate Conception Parish: Blessing, Iowa (Hudson): Rectory 1435 E. Eagle Road, Waterloo, Iowa.” 1983.

Unknown author(s). “Immaculate Conception Rectory: Buckingham, Iowa: Blessing.” A.C.C.W Parish History Project. Unknown date.

Unknown author. “To Do Today: Put in DataBase.” 12 March, 1996.

Files

http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/f96e9d66864b1ed1d5363b39e4fc2c22.png

Citation

“Immaculate Conception (Blessing, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed December 2, 2021, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/5712.