Annunciation (Lattnerville, Iowa)

Title

Annunciation (Lattnerville, Iowa)

Description

"As early as September 1866, the Catholics west of Dubuque in the Lattnerville area met with Catholics of the Centralia area to build a church. Unable to agree on a suitable location, the Lattnerville people quietly turned to Father Alois Meis of Dubuque, who had been deputized by Bishop John Hennessy to help them. They built a church for themselves in 1867 at the present site, where a town thrived for some decades. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1868, by Father J. B. McGown of Bankston at a solemn Mass celebrated in the maple grove close to the church. The sermon was preached in German by Father John B. Welkman and in English by Father Meis."

-Rev. Edgar Kurt, The Witness, Profile #71, 24 April 1988

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Language

English.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Coverage

15 August, 1868-11 July, 1989
History of the parish over the span of 121 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Table Of Contents

Anniversary documents (2 documents)
Articles/photography (3 documents)
Correspondence (10 documents)
Financial documents (2 documents)
History (8 documents)
Land acquisition/Merger documents (12 documents)
Parish life (5 documents)

Files

http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/2d402de868f719a36dbed73eb46d6806.jpg
http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/19a3045a31ea06216f23a325cf315d46.jpg

Citation

“Annunciation (Lattnerville, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed May 24, 2022, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/5750.