St. Joseph (New Hartford, Iowa)

Title

St. Joseph (New Hartford, Iowa)

Description

"The sketchy early history states the parish was established in 1888 and that Father D. J. Kelly, pastor of Parkersburg, was given charge of Aplington and New Hartford. The early Catholic directories indicate that the Parkersburg pastor has had charge of Saint Joseph Parish in New Hartford from that time until the present, except of twelve months in 1942-1943. For two decades the pastors served short terms. With the coming of Father Joseph P. Quirin in 1907, the New Hartford Catholics were blessed with Mass every Sunday, and that continued until 1918 when the war caused a shortage of priests in the archdiocese."

-Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, Parish Profile #186, The Witness, August 12, 1990.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Language

English.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Coverage

1888-14 July, 1992
History of the parish over the span of 104 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Table Of Contents

Land purchase documents (3 documents)
History (3 documents)
Financial statements (4 documents)
Closing articles (3 documents)

Kurt, Edgar. “Parish Profile #186: Saint Joseph Parish, New Hartford.” The Witness, 12 August, 1990. Unknown author.

“125th Anniversary.” The Witness, 23 October, 1986.

Files

http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/377677012bffc42be6ac0e8dd17a721e.jpg
http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/b5b8acc6c87141d3fe01f1ded806554a.jpg

Citation

“St. Joseph (New Hartford, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed May 28, 2022, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/5753.