Immaculate Conception (Sumner, Iowa)
“In 1892 the Catholic pioneers judged their numbers were sufficient to build a church. That year they raised some money by means of a fair in the Cass Opera House. In August they began hauling rocks for the foundation. The church was a white frame building 30 x 50 with a seating capacity of 175 and had an entry and belfry. The cost was $600. On November 13, 1892, the completed church was dedicated to the Blessed Mother under the title of her Immaculate Conception. In 1895 a new altar was placed in the church and the pews were obtained from the now abandoned Christian Prairie Church, the next year Stations of the Cross were added.”- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #223: Immaculate Conception, Sumner,” Dubuque: The Witness, 5 May 1991.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
History of the parish over the span of 135 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
Table Of Contents
ACCW “Growth and Development of Parish Society” (1 packet)
ACCW - Lacordaire “A Priest” poem – Parish History and News Clippings (1 packet)
ACCW Parish History 1962 (1 packet)
Annual History - n.d, ca. 1976 (2 documents)
Centennial History (1 document)
Centennial Mass (1 booklet)
Centennial News Clippings Page (1 document)
Cluster Agreement (1 packet)
History (1 compilation)
History Pages with Pictures – Immaculate Conception and St. Briget’s (1 document)
Merger Picture Page (1 document)
Timeline (3 documents)
“ICC Church celebrates 100 years Sunday,” unknown publisher, 1994.
“Immaculate Conception Church started in 1884,” unknown publisher, n.d. (3 documents)
“Immaculate Conception Sumner marks centennial,” Dubuque: The Witness, 7 August 1994.
Kurt, Rev. Msgr. Edgar, “Parish Profile #223: Immaculate Conception Parish, Sumner,” Dubuque: The Witness, 5 May 1991.
“Smouldering Candle a Year Ago results in “New” Church Today.“Zambia Africa,” Dubuque: The Witness, Vol. LXV No. 23, 4 August 1985.