Browse Items (782 total)

Patrick_Watkins050.jpg
“At least five parishes in the Archdiocese in the 1880s boasted two Catholic churches where one would have been sufficient except for a variety of languages. One such town was Norway in Benton County, where Saint Michael’s was the first parish,…

Edward_Waterloo048.jpg
“As early as June 1944 Archbishop Francis J. L. Beckmann conferred with Father John M. Fischer at the annual Priests Retreat about founding a new parish in Waterloo. In January 1945 his Coadjutor, Archbishop Henry P. Rohlman, appointed Father…

SH_waterloo_news043.jpg
“The beginning of Sacred Heart Parish is well described in the history of the Archdiocesan schools, “With Faith and Vision.” The authors wrote, “After nearly fifty years of getting to church by fording, by ferrying, and at last by crossing…

Blessed_Sacrament_Waterloo041.jpg
“Having observed the westward growth of Waterloo, Archbishop Henry P. Rohlman announced in 1947 the founding of a new parish in Waterloo to be called Blessed Sacrament. He appointed Father Louis A. Putz as pastor and temporary chaplain of Saint…

Sacred_Heart_Walker039.jpg
“The citizens of the community first sought to build a parish church in 1885 and subscribed $1,305. Of the 85 subscribers on the March 5, 1885, list about forty were not Catholic. In 1887 Father Peter O’Dowd, the Independence pastor, came to…

Sacred_Heart_Volga037.jpg
“Sacred Heart Church, Volga, was built in 1899 under the direction of Father James Mulligan, during the time he was pastor of West Union, Wadena, and Fayette. The first Mass was celebrated in the church on Easter, April 2, and the church formally…

Mary_Vinton035.jpg
“After the appointment of Father P. C. Kenny, churches were constructed in Vinton and Dysart under his direction. In 1879 the Church of Saint Mary in Vinton was dedicated on the feast of Mary’s Maternity, October 12, and the church in Vinton was…

ICC_VAn_Horne033.jpg
“The Catholic Church in Benton County began with the deeding of two sections of prairie near Keystone, Iowa, to the University of Notre Dame in Indiana in January 1863. Francis Murphy, a Benton county pioneer, gave those 1,280 acres in return for…

Mary_Urbana031.jpg
“Saint Mary Church at Spencer’s Grove, two and a half miles north of Urbana, “stood out in the prairie like a lonely sentinel of the Lord,” according to Father Hubert Holsters, writing in the Centennial History of the Archdiocese. For many…

St_Paul_Traer029.jpg
“Once the Archbishop appointed a pastor for the Blessing parish, the blessing pastors occasionally visited the Catholics of the Traer area and celebrated Mass in their homes. In 1912 Father Sampson, pastor of Blessing, directed the building of…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2