Browse Items (782 total)

Peter_Temple_Hill026.jpg
“Father Patrick Maginnis came from Garryowen in 1852 to be the first resident pastor in the county. That year he saw to the building of the first church, a small frame structure, planned to serve as both church and school, but there is no school…

Patrick_Tama023.jpg
“The first resident priest in Tama was Father Charles McCabe, arriving in 1873. He stopped there on a missionary journey and decided Tama was a better location for a church because of the larger community of Catholics and the railroad, which helped…

ICC_sumner014.jpg
“In 1892 the Catholic pioneers judged their numbers were sufficient to build a church. That year they raised some money by means of a fair in the Cass Opera House. In August they began hauling rocks for the foundation. The church was a white frame…

Mary_Strawberry_Point016.jpg
“Bishop John Hennessy established the Strawberry Point parish in the southwest corner of Clayton County in 1878 and appointed Father John Hackett pastor. They had been served by missionary priests coming into the area and celebrating Mass in the…

Joseph_State_Center017.jpg
“State Center was at the end of its run for the Northwestern Railroad in the early 1860s bringing Catholic employees among the first settlers of that Marshall County Town. Among the priests making missionary journeys to State Center were the…

Visitation_Stacyville019.jpg
“In 1873 the 27 families sent John Brost to ask Bishop John Hennessy for a resident priest and permission to build a church. Permission to build was granted, but no priest was available. The next year they dedicated the new church to the Blessed…

Isidore_Springville021.jpg
“The Parish of Saint Isidore was canonically resurrected on March 22, 1961, the Feast of Saint Isidore the Farmer. At Father Engler’s suggestion the new parish was dedicated to God in honor of Saint Isidore, the Patron of Farmers. Isidore and his…

peter_paul_springbrook012.jpg
“Jackson County settlers some miles south of Bellevue in the 1860s did business in either Slabton, where there was a sawmill, or Old Springbrook, or “new” Springbrook. The Methodists worshipped in Liberty School, the Baptists in Old…

peter_paul_sherrill007.jpg
“The first Catholic settlers of the Sherrill community came from Germany and Luxembourg in the 1840s to find land providing timber and rock for building and wood for fuel, as well as productive soil. They were visited by Bishop Loras and priests…

Lucas_1940_Ordination_photo_047.jpg
“In 1882 Father Francis Boeding began a pastorate of 46 years. He saw to the spiritual formation of his parish and also served the people of Cresco, Fort Atkinson, Ossian, and Hawkeye in his early years. He was instrumental in making the area…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2