St. John (Cartersville, Iowa)

Title

St. John (Cartersville, Iowa)

Description

"Under Father Murphy’s guidance 21 families collected $1,285 in 1877 for a parish church. They put up a small frame building about a mile west of the present town, on two acres donated by Ben Welp. On December 8, 1879, Father Murphy celebrated the first mass in the Church of the Immaculate Conception. About the same time J. B. Determan, Killian Kunkel, and Henry Lemker started a one-room parochial school for 25 children. Miss Mary Foley was the first teacher. Miss Mary Tasshaller and Miss Gertrude Eich were later teachers, using the same course of studies in secular subjects as the public schools. They later joined the Dubuque Franciscan Sisters."

- Rev. Edgar Kurt, "Parosh Profile," Dubuque: The Witness, 8 October 1989.

Source

The Archdiocese of Dubuque.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.

Language

English.

Publisher

Loras College
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"

Coverage

1912-
History of the parish over the span of about 90 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.

Contributor

Burback, Emily. Burns, Daniel. Gibson, Michael. Oberfoell, Carol. Waldmeir, Helen. Waldmeir, John.

Type

Various primary and secondary sources.

Table Of Contents

HISTORY (7 documents)
LEGAL DOCUMENTS (2 documents)
VOCATIONS/LIST OF PRIESTS (3 documents)

Author unknown. Letter to James J, Keane. 12 February, 1912.

Kucera, Daniel W. “Official Announcent; Parish Status Changes: St. Joseph, Wadena to Oratory.” The Witness, 2 July 1989.

Unknown author. “Parish changes announced… New status for thirteen archdiocesan parishes.” The Witness, 2 July 1989.

Files

http://loras.libraryhost.com/files/original/8384b3b8c521921f2a0d6ac4c86dc147.jpg

Citation

“St. John (Cartersville, Iowa),” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed January 20, 2022, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/5717.