Sacred Heart (Volga, Iowa)
“Sacred Heart Church, Volga, was built in 1899 under the direction of Father James Mulligan, during the time he was pastor of West Union, Wadena, and Fayette. The first Mass was celebrated in the church on Easter, April 2, and the church formally dedicated on June 7 of that year. Father John R. Daly, first pastor of Volga and Wadena, came in 1899 and the parish built a rectory in 1900 for $1,200. He stayed short of two years.”Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #209: Sacred Heart Parish, Volga,” Dubuque: The Witness, 27 January 1991.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
History of the parish over the span of 120 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
Table Of Contents
Anniversary of Dedication - 50th and 75th 1975 (1 booklet)
Contract and Agreement 1954 (1 compilation)
Financial Statement 1968 (1 document)
History (2 documents)
Oral History CD, Volga Sacred Heart 1987 #38.
Pastor/Priest Cards (2 sets)
“Centennial Observance: Sacred Heart Parish marks a milestone.” Dubuque: The Witness, 1 August 1999.Kurt, Rev. Msgr. Edgar, “Sacred Heart Parish, Volga,” n.p., ca. 1989.