Sacred Heart (Walker, Iowa)
“The citizens of the community first sought to build a parish church in 1885 and subscribed $1,305. Of the 85 subscribers on the March 5, 1885, list about forty were not Catholic. In 1887 Father Peter O’Dowd, the Independence pastor, came to Walker at the request of several Catholic families to discuss further the possibility of building a Catholic church in Walker. That year they built a church through the efforts of the citizens and the dedication of Father O’Dowd. It was probably then that they dedication the church to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.”
- Rev. Msgr. Edgar Kurt, “Parish Profile #161: Sacred Heart Parish, Walker,” Dubuque: The Witness, 11 February 1990.
The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College.
Kucera Center for Catholic Thought
Frank and Ida Goedken Series: "Spiritual Life in the Upper Mississippi River Valley"
History of the parish over the span of 132 years, including information about its priests and parishioners.
Table Of Contents
ACCW Parish History Project Annual History 1976-1983, 1983-1984 (2 compilations)
Annual History 1932-1956, 1931-1961 (2 documents)
Archives record information Rev. J.J. Olinger (2 documents)
Financial Statement 1984-1985 (2 documents)
Financial Statement – Spencer’s Grove ca. 1968 (2 documents)
Golden Jubilee Booklet, August 26, 1940 (1 document)
History (2 packets)
Pastor/Administration Cards (2 sets)
Priest List (2 documents)
REGISTRA ANTIQUA with Index 1876-1915 (1 unbound packet)
Walker Sacred Heart Guild 1975-1976 (1 document)
Warranty Deed and Legal Documents 1939-1993 (1 compilation)
Hohenbrink, Michael. “Pro-life activities bring teaching moment.” Dubuque: The Witness, Vol. 89 No. 2, 18 January 2009.