[House of the Good Shepherd]


[House of the Good Shepherd]


Hoffman, Peter B.


The House or Home of the Good Shepherd building, that is now Hennessy Hall at Loras College. The House of the Good Shepherd was a home to rehabilitate and restore delinquent or neglected girls, aged 13-21. The buildings is a 4-5 story, red-brick building. The front door faces Alta Vista Street and there is a sidewalk that leads up to the front door. The front door is up 7 cement stairs and under a roof that has a cross on the top of the pointed pediment and the name "House of the Good Shepherd underneath the pediment as well as decorative cornices. On the left side of the buildings there is a fire escape that is against the wall. On the grounds next to the building is a grotto, trees, chairs, and possibly a garden. There is a small house in the background. A fence stands to the right of the building and a wall or fence that starts on the front left side corner of the building and extends diagonally towards the photographer.


Loras College


The Center for Dubuque History, Loras College, 1450 Alta Vista Street, Dubuque, Iowa 52001


HOFF 00697


Digital image captured with an Epson V600 scanner. TIFF file created from a print scanned in 48 bit color at 600 ppi.


Contact The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College, 1450 Alta Vista Street, Dubuque, Iowa 52001 or call (563) 588-7100 Copyright LORAS COLLEGE


This record is part of the Peter B. Hoffman Photograph Collection held by The Center for Dubuque History at Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa.


Reilly, Sydney


Peter B. Hoffman Photograph Collection


Still Image




Hoffman, Peter B., “[House of the Good Shepherd],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed December 8, 2022, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/6634.

Social Bookmarking